1 lb (400g) gooseberries
(45 ml) clear honey 10 fl oz
(250 ml) double cream, whipped
1½ oz (40g) butter
3 ozs (75g) wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 or (25g) hazelnuts, chopped and toasted 2 tablespoons
(30 ml) demerara sugar
- Place gooseberries in a pan with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water, cover and cook gently for 15 minutes until soft.
- Cool slightly, then puree in a blender or food processor. Sieve to remove tops and tails.
- Add honey and leave to cool. Stir in the whipped cream.
- Melt butter in frying pan, add the breadcrumbs and fry until golden brown. Leave to cool, then stir in hazelnuts and sugar.
- Divide half the gooseberry whip between 4 glasses and cover with half of the crumbs.
- Repeat the layers finishing with crumbs. Freezing of this dessert is not recommended.